Vallabhbhai Patel, popularly known as Sardar Patel or the Iron Man of India was the first home minister and deputy prime minister of Independent India. He is the veteran behind the unification of 562 princely states of pre-independent India and that’s where the name “
Statue of Unity” transpires from. He was born in Gujrat and was a successful lawyer by profession. Crafted as a memorial to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the gigantic statue was opened to the public on November 2, 2018.
Statue of Unity is now the tallest statue in the world towering at a height of 182 meters, a hefty 23 meters taller than the second tallest statue, China Spring Temple Buddha. Construction of this magnificent statue started three and a half years back, with over 3,000 engaged workers and nearly 300 engineers from Larsen and Toubro(L&T). Completed on a whopping budget of 3,050 crores, this statue will be one of the most prominent tourist attractions in and around Gujarat. Along with local tourists, it is likely to receive attention from foreign tourists as well. Being situated in the remote corner of Gujarat, state tourism is taking appropriate steps for its promotion.
Interesting Facts About The Statue Of Unity
Statue of unity is a robust structure and is capable of standing a lot of bad nature. Here are some jaw-dropping facts about this monument –
- The statue is capable of withstanding a wind velocity of up to 60 m/s.
- It can easily stand tall in an earthquake of magnitude 6.5 on the Richter scale, within a radius of 12 km and at a depth of 10km.
- It was designed by Ram V Sutar, a Padma Bhushan sculptor.
- The statue provides a bird-eye view of Sardar Sarovar dam and Narmada river from its gallery which can easily accommodate 200 visitors in a go.
- A highway from Kevadia town will be constructed soon to increase the connectivity of the destination.
- It is estimated to receive a daily frequency of 15,000 tourists.
The statue stands at a grand location near the Sardar Sarovar Dam and is located at a distance of around 3.5 km from Sadhu Bet. Nestled amidst the terrains and beautiful mountains, no location could be felicitous than this. Already an attraction among tourists, Sardar Sarovar Dam bags attention from tourist all around the nation for the benevolent flow of water. A highway is soon to be built for a better connectivity to the location.
The overall construction of this engineering marvel was completed in a record 33 months by the construction giants Larsen and Toubro. The overall structure of the Statue of Unity is a layered composition of 18,500,000 kg of reinforced steel bars, 5,700,000 kg of structured steel, 1,700,000 kg of bronze, 1,850,000 kg of bronze cladding, 22,500,00 kg of cement and 1,500,00 kg of iron in collaboration with Indian farmers under the “Loha Campaign”.
How To Reach
Located near Shoolpaneshwar Wildlife Sanctuary, it is well connected to the state of Gujarat by all means of transport.
- Personal vehicles – The roads to the Statue of Unity are well integrated with national highways providing incredible road connectivity.
- Public transport: The nearest railway station to the spot is Vadodara, 105 km from the Statue of unity. Hire a cab or take the public transport after deboarding the train at the railway station to reach the attraction.
- By air: The nearest airport is the Vadodara Airport located 95 km away from the Sardar Sarovar Dam making it feasible for the tourists to reach from all over India and abroad.
A ticket to this humongous statue costs 350 INR per adult, 200 INR for children from 3-15 years old, and children below age 3 are free to enter. A bus ride to the statue can cost you an additional 30 INR. These tickets can be bought online at www.soutickets.in or on the spot according to the visitor’s convenience.
Best Time To Visit
The Statue of Unity can be visited all round the year and there is no special time to visit it. However, if an individual wants to witness an overflowing Sardar Sarovar Dam, the monsoon is the best pick.
One can also explore Vadodara for the Gujarati cuisines when visiting the statue. Vadodara is a fusion of old markets, big shopping malls, ancient palaces, and gourmet restaurants. If you want to add Vadodara to your itinerary, there are plenty of places to keep you occupied.
The Statue of Unity is located near the Sardar Sarovar dam making it a core point of attraction. Boat Rides will start soon at the location however, tourists can enjoy a daily laser show in the evening. Tourists from far-off places can enjoy an overnight stay at a nearby 3-star property inside the complex.
Statue of Unity is the symbol of a developing India and with this marvel, India has embarked its ground in the development of engineering marvels. All the funds for Statue of Unity are powered by the central government and several PSUs including ONGC, Indian Oil and few others. Finally, it can be concluded that it is a one-of-its-kind monument in India and is definitely worth a visit with your friends and family!